The University was founded by a charter issued on 7th April, 1348 by Charles IV, King of Bohemia, King of the Romans, King of Italy and Holy Roman Emperor, as the first Studium generale north of the Alps and east of Paris. Charles University is thus one of the oldest European universities. It was built in the same way as the universities in Bologna and Paris, and within a very short time it achieved international renown that it has kept until today.
It is divided into 17 faculties. One of them is the Faculty of Science that is celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2020. The Faculty of Science is located in Nové Město (New Town), a central district of Prague, on the Albertov Campus.